Masonic Lodge, built in 1882
At the corner of
The massive building's upper two floors are utilized by the Lodge, and retail stores are at the street level.
The building has
always been the home of the town clock, although the copper tower which is seen
today was replaced in 1934. The inner workings are from the original clock
which was shipped
around the Horn in 1882 from Seth Thomas in
The community engaged in a lively discussion when considering the issue of installing a town clock, and the Petaluma Argus declared at the time, "The town clock is a public necessity. The young want it to tell what time to go to school; the old to tell what time to go home. Men want it so that they can pawn their watches, and women want it so they can look out their chamber windows and see if their husbands lie when they come home. The clock will not only be a great convenience, but will prove a positive conservator of public morals."